Welcome to my Blog! :)





Welcome to my blog!!!


This blog was created so that all of you; my dear friends and family, would be able to follow my abroad adventures...
I was on International Exchange in Wales, UK from Sept. 20, 2010-June 10th, 2011. I also spent an amazing 3 months on International Internship in Tortuguero-Costa Rica, working with COTERC for the Conservation and Monitoring of Marine Turtles
from June 14th-Sept 14th, 2011...


Here are the stories...enjoy :)


Saturday, September 03, 2011


A time to reflect...CANO PALMA

Everyone's gone, the biological station feels empty.  Only Todd, Lauren and I remain...there will be a couple of volunteers arriving today, however, they will only stay a couple of days.  It is now only Lauren and I doing the beach monitoring on our own...there isn't much activity at night anymore though.  About 4-5 days ago, we saw and worked 3 mother turtles in one night..then after that, we've barely seen any new turtle tracks at all...only the odd one or two.  Since there isn't much activity during the night anymore and there are only two of us...we will from now on, only be going in the mornings to check on hatching baby turtles...and will try to get one night or two in the next 10 days.

I am leaving in 10 days, and I don't know how to feel about it.  I feel sad to leave this place, but it isn't only that...I feel sad that these next 10 days are the end of a magical year...one of the most memorable ones in my life I'm sure.  I have had such nice experiences, met amazing people and learned a lot about myself...and life.

People will walk in and out of your life.  Every single one of those people are important and will teach you something.  Even if some are different than you and annoy you to death...they're there for a reason, observe them, listen, and learn something from them.  If you don't learn something from them, you will still learn something about yourself THROUGH them.  Most times, they will also learn something from you!
Sometimes, you won't even notice that someone made a big difference in your life until much later on...when that time comes, you will understand why you met them.
Then there are people who are so special, that you just KNOW they'll be a big part of your life either longterm or sometimes even forever. Don't let go of these special relations...they're important, and will make your life more whole.

Well, it's now the end of week 11 out of the 13 weeks I've been assigned for through York University...my 90 days here at Cano Palma are almost up.  Lately, I'm having more time alone...gives me time to think...sometimes too much!!! but I will be writing you my thoughts as the time of my departure comes closer.

Later... :)

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, your thoughts and ideas regarding the people you meet in life are expressed very well. If only everyone understood the importance of the people they encounter everyday and valued the experience these people provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remembered my password to my blogs, and just saw this message. Thank you Josh. You were one of those great people that I enjoyed meeting.

      Delete