Welcome to my Blog! :)





Welcome to my blog!!!


This blog was created so that all of you; my dear friends and family, would be able to follow my abroad adventures...
I was on International Exchange in Wales, UK from Sept. 20, 2010-June 10th, 2011. I also spent an amazing 3 months on International Internship in Tortuguero-Costa Rica, working with COTERC for the Conservation and Monitoring of Marine Turtles
from June 14th-Sept 14th, 2011...


Here are the stories...enjoy :)


Friday, April 29, 2011


LIFE IN SWANSEA
2010-2011




Life in Swansea is very relaxed. Unlike places like London or even Toronto, living in a small city like Swansea has it's advantages, there is much less stress!!  There are no rush hours to worry about and people pushing each other in the subway, as there IS no subway.  In Wales people mobilize by car, bus or bike, and whenever there are long distances to travel, the best way is the train...First Great Western.  I love this train, I've been to London, Liverpool and Leeds riding the train....and also to the Bristol airport to get my connections for all the great travels I have done....LOVE the system!
Even though Swansea is a small town, there are lots and lots to do. Well, especially if you are not into the big city scene.  People here ride their bikes, go on hikes, make bonfires on the beach (which is legal), go out for ice cream or coffee; there are nice places to do this right alongside the bicycle paths which run all along the long stretch of beach of Swansea Bay. One of the things that I love the most is seeing so many dogs running and playing on the beach everyday, catching balls and some splashing in the water....it's the best to see their smiley waggy tails  :) 
While in Swansea, I have mostly travelled either by foot or bike, as most important things are all near where I live, which is a great area for a student. At a very short distance you can get to Uni, the library, bank, grocery shops, main city centre and to the beach. All this time, I have biked to university every day along the beach, 15min each way. I have taken buses only occationally to go a bit further into the country side and to better beaches, such as Rhossili which is at about 1 hour by bus from Swansea.
What I have really enjoyed about being in Wales is the laidback atmosphere and its beautiful scenery.  There are cliffs with amazing views of the sea, nice long bike paths by the bay, with outdoor terrace icecream shops on the way, and there is also a whole beautiful countryside to explore.
Another thing worth mentioning is the health system... it is the best!! Even for us international students, healthcare is completely free even if you don't have insurance.  They set you up immediately with a health number and you are all set.  Prescription medications are completely free of charge as well.  A friend of mine (also an international student from Germany) got injured, and we had to call an ambulance...so you know where this is heading...yes...the ambulance was also free!!
Another plus...for the elderly...they do not pay any bus fare at all! incredible isn't it? It should be like this everywhere.

I can't say much about welsh people besides they are really nice, friendly and laidback, I have had no negative situations at all.  I had heard some negative comments about Welsh people, when I made my decision to do the international exchange here. But what do people know if they haven't experienced it for themselves? and even for those who did, everybody's situation is different, and an opinion is just an opinion that could be based on many factors.  I always believe on seeing and judging things for oneself.
During my exchange, I have hung out with people of many nationalities, as I was mostly surrounded by international students; I have made really great friends. But the few welsh people that I did meet, are really great people.  What I don't like much in Wales, and I will be honest, is the welsh accent when they speak english, it is so different, and if they speak too fast you get completely lost.  Actually you'd be surprised how varied the english accent is all throughout the United Kingdom!

The weather in Swansea has been good in general, and we got many sunny days.  They say it's been an unusual year, with more sun than they would normally get...so I guess I have been lucky!!!  In the winter, the coldest temperature was around -5c I think, and in the summer it averages around 17c-20c, but we have gotten days at 26c as well....yup, that's Global Warming for you ehhehehehehe...

People have asked, would you live in Swansea? I would have to say yes, it is beautiful...although it does look a little run down in some areas.  I am not a city person by nature anyway, so being far from a big city is actually a benefit for me.  The city centre in Swansea is big enough and has everything you need.  Perfection would be having a car and living on the countryside of Wales, cause it is very hilly here and impossible to bike everywhere. The countryside  has beautiful houses and great scenery...it is breathtaking...very nice place to visit, for those who would like to see for yourselves...Overall, I really recommend to do the Welsh experience :D

No comments:

Post a Comment